Monday, November 8, 2010

Close call

Last night I was driving home on highway 71 after dark (~6:30 with Daylight savings time) going 70mph. This is a normal occurrence since I travel a lot. The strangest things I have seen in the middle of the road during my travels up to this point in my life are a wheelbarrow and a wild pig. The wheelbarrow was really scary since we had to swerve and almost hit other cars going 70mph on a busy highway in San Antonio. The wild pig ran across the road on my drive to College Station from Austin and I caught a glimpse of its hoof and tail. Yesterday I saw the craziest thing I've ever seen and hope to ever see walking across a busy highway. A full size horse. It did not have a saddle or a rider. It was just taking a stroll across Hwy 71 in the dark. Luckily I saw it before I was upon it and it was to my left walking to the right. I was able to miss it and tap my brakes to warn the folks behind me. I hope my warning helped. The car behind me had to swerve off the road to miss the horse and it landed in a grassy median/ditch. One of its headlights went out and then it put on its flashers. I assumed they were OK since they put their flashers on and other cars that slammed on their brakes were near them. A horse through the windshield is not something anyone is prepared for. Thank you Lord for keeping us all safe. From my brief look at the horse, this is what I think it resembled (without the saddle).

No comments:

Post a Comment